Matt Garza's Anniversary Trip with Wife Cost Him Contract with Angels

By

Next ARTICLE Ľ
    Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
    Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

Reads

Comments

Timing is everything.
    Pitcher Matt Garza was a free agent this winter, but he was having a hard time getting many offers. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't able to be available when teams wanted to talk.
    He had an offer early in the offseason from the Los Angeles Angels. The club offered him a four-year, $52 million deal. Instead of having a chance to mull the contract over, an anniversary trip cost him a chance to consider an offer.
    MLB.com's Adam McCalvy was able to talk to Garza about the situation:
    They offered, but it was more of a weird situation. I was on vacation with my wife and I didnít want to be disturbed, and it was like, ĎHere it is, weíll pull it in a certain amount of hours.í I didnít have a chance to respond, so I just said, ĎWhatever. It is what it is.'
    It wasnít anything big. It was an offer and I said, ĎIím on vacation. Iím not thinking about baseball, Dude. Me and my wife are enjoying ourselves.í
    Garza and his wife Serina were on vacation in Turks and Caicos when the Angels made the offer. It wasn't a long-standing offer apparently.
    Once that offer was on the table, the 30-year-old had to play the waiting game. Even though he has posted a 3.84 ERA in eight seasons, there wasn't much movement in the pitching market.
    It took about six weeks for the Milwaukee Brewers to step in. Garza, via McCalvy, signed a four-year deal worth $50 million guaranteed, plus a vesting option for a fifth year.
    The right-hander stayed positive throughout the winter:
    I had no worries. Godís going to make things work out either way. It is what it is. I guess you didnít want me that bad, I take it. I found a team that wants me and makes me feel at home. I was looking for a great fit and I believe I found it.
    The couple's vacation apparently cost Garza $2 million in guaranteed money. Although Los Angeles certainly has the more talented roster, the veteran is happy with where he landed.
    From February through October, MLB players don't have much time to spend with their families. When they have free time in the offseason, family comes first. That's a rule that Garza takes seriously, even if his future is on the line.
    [H/t Greg Smith of Black Sports Online]

Matt Garza's Anniversary Trip with Wife Cost Him Contract with Angels Bleacher Report

Level
    I don't think it was your intent, but the title sorta sounds like Matt is in need of some sympathy.
    If I were on vacation with my wife, and my employer (who contributed the cash for that nice vacation btw) called me with a new contract offer -- it would not seem like too much of a bother to me to go through the exhausting process of listening for a minute. Of course, I don't have Matt's money or talent.
    Since he is already a multi-millionaire with the talent to make many more millions, I don't think Matt has anything to worry about - and he seems to understand that very well. It must be nice to worry about what you want when you want.

Level
    timing is everything
    Dirty likes this.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BranchDavidian View Post
    I don't think it was your intent, but the title sorta sounds like Matt is in need of some sympathy.
    If I were on vacation with my wife, and my employer (who contributed the cash for that nice vacation btw) called me with a new contract offer -- it would not seem like too much of a bother to me to go through the exhausting process of listening for a minute. Of course, I don't have Matt's money or talent.
    Since he is already a multi-millionaire with the talent to make many more millions, I don't think Matt has anything to worry about - and he seems to understand that very well. It must be nice to worry about what you want when you want.
    Just because you make millions doesn't mean you don't have to worry about your future... many things can happen to put you in the poor house. Also playing for the Brewers or the Angels is a huge difference in quality of franchises.

Level
    It was his choice so only he has to live with the results. I bet his wife feels good about their relationship. Or wouldn't it be ironic if she left him since he missed out. haha
    JAKEPEAVY21 likes this.

Level
    2 mill nuthin to sneeze at, hope his wife is worth it
    Hangover likes this.

Level
    Boo hoo he missed out on the 2 million. He will be in my prayers.

Level
    Cant put a dollar amount on a happy wife. Ryan Dempster walked away from 13 mil for pain and family reasons. Im sure he could pitch through the pain but that divorce settlement and custody battle would be even more painful.