Level

What MLB club will take a chance on Carlos Marmol

Marmol designated for assignment by the cubs, maybe he should go back to being a catcher....

Carlos Marmol of Chicago Cubs designated for assignment, Ian Stewart released - ESPN Chicago

The Chicago Cubs designated beleaguered relief pitcher Carlos Marmol for assignment, likely ending Marmol's time with the only team he's played for since entering the big leagues in 2006.

Chicago Cubs

Follow ESPN Chicago's coverage of the Cubs.

Cubs blog 50 Greatest Cubs

"This is probably the best thing for both Carlos and the Cubs," Marmol's agent, Paul Kinzer, told ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine. "But Carlos hates leaving Chicago. He's loved his time there, having been in the organization his entire career.

"I had another player who was designated for assignment a couple years ago, and that was Edwin Encarnacion, and now he's an MVP candidate."

The Cubs also announced that the suspension of Ian Stewart was settled and upheld, and he was unconditionally released.

The 30-year-old Marmol went 2-4 with a 5.86 ERA in 31 relief appearances this season. Marmol has struggled for parts of the past three seasons. He struck out 32 and walked 21 in 27 2/3 innings this season. He had 10 blown saves with a 4.01 ERA in 2011 and has lost his closer role on several occasions.

Coming To A Close
    Since arriving in the majors in 2006, Carlos Marmol leads all relievers in strikeout percentage (32.1) and opponents' batting average (.176). But Marmol also has been his own biggest enemy. During that span, he leads all relievers in walk percentage (15.2) -- third-worst in major league history -- and wild pitches (45), and his 80.7 save percentage is the fifth-lowest (100 opportunities).

Highest Walk Percentage for Relievers in MLB History
    Pitcher Career BB Pct.
    Mitch Williams 1986-1997 17.5
    Mark Clear 1979-1990 15.3
    Carlos Marmol 2006-2013 15.2
    John D'Acquisto 1973-1982 14.7
    Dwayne Henry 1984-1995 14.6
    -- Source: Stats Inc. LLC
    "God gives us the opportunity, and he can take it away; that's the way the things are. This is only business," Marmol said to Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com via phone from Milwaukee. "You never expect this kind of news. I believe that fans were getting a little strong to me, I think it was time to move and try a new beginning."

Marmol will stay around Chicago and work out and prepare for whatever happens next, Kinzer said.

Marmol, who was making $9.8 million this season, will be in baseball limbo for 10 days while the Cubs try to work out a trade. After that, he can be asked to take a designation to the minors if he clears waivers. Otherwise he can opt for free agency. A team will be able to sign him to the minimum salary, while the Cubs will have to absorb the rest of his contract.

"Every time I go to the mound I try to give one hundred percent, all I got, I didn't fail for lack of effort. I would say that the lack of support from the fans was part of the reason of the mental block that I suffered recently," Marmol said.

Marmol said that another possible reason for his poor performance is his absence from winter ball in the Dominican Republic over the past three years.

"I need to throw a lot. I'm a pitcher that needs to work a lot to keep his rhythm," Marmol said.

The Cubs selected the contract of outfielder Brian Bogusevic.

Stewart was serving a 10-game suspension without pay for violating the loyalty clause in his contract. The 10-game suspension was handed down after he ranted on Twitter about his status within the organization. Stewart, 28, was traded to the Cubs in 2011 and re-signed with the team this offseason. He was hitting .201 and has struggled staying healthy.

Level
    I would hope nobody...
    Dirty likes this.

Level
    What saints said.
    Dirty likes this.

Level

Level
    keep in mind, he can be signed to an minor league deal for almost no risk to the team that takes a shot.

i'm sure many teams would take a flyer on him.

cubs just couldn't send them to the Minors
    Hangover and Dirty like this.

Level
    Marmol in 2010 had 138 strikeouts in 77 innings and sub 3 ERA. Every team will take a flyer on that no matter how bad he has been. Cubs might even be able to trade him. The Cubs are such a bad organization i would not be surprised if he goes somewhere and turns into an allstar again.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangover View Post
    Marmol in 2010 had 138 strikeouts in 77 innings and sub 3 ERA. Every team will take a flyer on that no matter how bad he has been. Cubs might even be able to trade him. The Cubs are such a bad organization i would not be surprised if he goes somewhere and turns into an allstar again.
    Cubs are doing things right under new ownership... they have turned the corner.. Braves will not be taking a shot on Marmol and they need relief help... some other team may as he doesn't add much to a pen... only time you would think about it as a contender is sign him in mid august and bring him up August 31 so he can still be on post season roster if something happens and can pitch meaningless innings in September
    Hangover likes this.

Level
    Dodgers????

Carlos Marmol of Chicago Cubs close to being deal to Los Angeles Dodgers, sources say - ESPN Chicago

By Bruce Levine ESPNChicago.com
    EMAIL
    PRINT
    The Chicago Cubs are closing in on a trade that would send Carlos Marmol to the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to two sources.

Chicago Cubs

Follow ESPN Chicago's coverage of the Cubs.

Cubs blog 50 Greatest Cubs

Marmol was designated for assignment on June 25, giving the Cubs a 10-day period to trade him or give him his unconditional release. He has a limited no-trade clause with six teams he could block, including the Dodgers.

It's unknown which player or players the Dodgers would send to Chicago.

Marmol is owed more than $5 million on his $9.8 million for this season, and another source said the Dodgers will absorb some of the money owed. He's ending a three-year, $21 million contract with the Cubs, who are the only team he's played for in the majors.

Marmol can become a free agent after this season.

The 30-year-old Marmol went 2-4 with a 5.86 ERA in 31 relief appearances this season. He has struggled for parts of the past three seasons. He struck out 32 and walked 21 in 27 2/3 innings this season. He had 10 blown saves with a 4.01 ERA in 2011 and has lost his closer role several times.

Marmol has 117 saves over eight seasons with the Cubs. His best season as a closer came in 2010 when he had 38 saves, a 2.55 ERA and 138 strikeouts in 77 2/3 innings.

Level
    I can't see how anyone would sign him

Level
    a trade by the LAD seems ludicrous

Marmol will be a free agent in a few days anyways. So they must think some ahead of them on the Waiver wire will claim im after his 10 days of designation are over.
    Dirty likes this.

Level
    Possible...and I just read they are about to try to trade for Utley as well
    Hangover likes this.

Level
    Cubs trade Carlos Marmol to Dodgers

By Dayn Perry Baseball Writer

The struggling Carlos Marmol is now a Dodger. (USATSI)
    More MLB: Scoreboard Standings Probable Pitchers Sortable Stats Odds
    It's not the biggest trade the Cubs made on Tuesday, but it's still notable: The maligned Carlos Marmol has been dealt to the Dodgers along with international signing-bonus slot No. 4 in exchange for fellow reliever Matt Guerrier. The Cubs made the announcement on Tuesday.
    According to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat, the Cubs will pay about $500,000 of the $5 million left on Marmol's contract. This season, Marmol is lugging around an ERA of 5.86, but he owns a strong 125 ERA+ for his career. A lack of control will always be the concern with him. The Cubs designated Marmol, age 30, for assignment last week.
    As for Guerrier, 34, he has a 3.54 ERA in 513 major-league appearances, all but three of which have come in relief. This season, he pitched to a 4.80 ERA before being DFA'd by the Dodgers.

Cubs trade Carlos Marmol to Dodgers - CBSSports.com

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Possible...and I just read they are about to try to trade for Utley as well
    Dodgers getting Utley wtf?!?
    Dirty likes this.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangover View Post
    Dodgers getting Utley wtf?!?
    Is Los Angeles' own Chase Utley on Dodgers' radar?

After a great series at Chavez Ravine, Chase Utley could find himself there on a more frequent basis. (USATSI)
    Word going around the game is that the Dodgers could have interest in Chase Utley, the longtime Phillies star who in his younger days starred at UCLA and before that at Long Beach (Calif.) Polytechnic High.
    It isn't known if the Dodgers have gone so far as to contact the Phillies regarding Utley, and if they do, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro doesn't seem anxious to trade Utley despite the fact Utley's contract expires after the year. Amaro told Danny Knobler earlier this week, "I view Chase Utley as a Phillie for life."
    If the Phillies do decide to sell, they are said to be more willing to part with Michael Young, who's interested the Dodgers before. Phillies people have a deeper attachment to Utley, who was part of their championship teams.
    There could be room on the infield for Utley, who would fit the Dodger preference for big and established names. Dodgers second baseman Mark Ellis has had some injury problems and isn't having his best season while third baseman Juan Uribe generally has been a free-agent disappointment.
    Recently off the disabled list, Utley had to have impressed Dodgers people in Los Angeles this week, where he had eight hits, including three home runs, in a four-game series at Dodger Stadium. Overall, Utley is hitting .284 with 11 home runs and 30 RBI.
    Asked about Utley, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said, "I have nothing to [say about] any players not in the Dodgers organization."
    Amaro didn't seem surprised the Dodgers might have interest. Amaro has suggested he doesn't want to trade any of his players, but people connected to the organization suggest there's more chance of a trade inolving players on expiring contracts, like Utley (who makes $15 million this year) and Young, than say Cliff Lee and Jonathan Papelbon, who are under contract at least through 2015.
    The A's, Royals and Orioles (depending on Brian Roberts' success in staying healthy) could also be fits for Utley, who has the right to block trades to 21 teams, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.
    "We have good players," Amaro said. "I'm sure there will be teams interested in their services."

Is Los Angeles' own Chase Utley on Dodgers' radar? - CBSSports.com
    Hangover likes this.